This free event in Sandwell might be worth a gander. I know that many of you are interested in the connections between the natural environment, health and well-being and wider sustainability issues.
If you have any queries please contact Chris directly by emailing email@example.com
Health & Well-being and the Natural Environment Discovery Day: working to improve the range of benefits and services a healthy natural environment can offer. On: Thursday 11th July 2013, at: Park Farm, Sandwell Valley Country Park, West Bromwich
Venue: Study Room, Park Farm, Sandwell Valley Country Park, Salter’s Lane, West Bromwich, B71 4BG
Thursday 11th July 2013, 09:30 for 10am – 15:30
(Free event – booking essential. Lunch and refreshments are included)
Please find below an invitation to the Discovery Day. Please circulate to your contacts and wider sector networks. We look forward to seeing some of you on the 11th July. The context and the purpose of the day is explained below, as is how you can book a place. An agenda for the day is attached. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future. If you have any questions or need further information please contact me.
The Birmingham & Black Country Local Nature Partnership, in association with Natural England, invite you to a Health and Well-being Discovery Day. Together we will explore how different organisations view the natural environment and how to work together to ensure that our natural environment contributes to health and well-being and vice versa. The day will be led by landscape and well-being researchers from Birmingham City University. See the attached programme for the day.
It is increasingly recognised that improving our relationship with the natural environment, and understanding the many services it provides for us, brings many benefits, for example:
• Increasing the time we spend in the natural environment is known to improve physical and mental health;
• Offering greater potential for practical learning experiences;
• Providing a sustainable and resilient green infrastructure, comprising areas benefiting both people and nature such as rivers and streams, woodlands, wetlands and other open spaces;
• Helping us to adapt to the impacts of climate change – for instance coping with flood/drought scenarios and protecting the quality of our water;
• Influencing our local climate through shading and improving air quality through the services which trees and woodland provide;
• Providing a range of cultural services such as recreation, tourism, aesthetic appreciation and inspiration and a sense of place.
The Discovery Day will provide an opportunity to:
• Influence the debate on the relationships between natural environment, society, health and economy
• Appreciate some of the services the natural environment can offer in an urban landscape
• Share ideas regarding the wider natural environment – health agenda
• Network with wide-ranging professionals to discuss potential collaborations
• Find out about the Local Nature Partnership in Birmingham and the Black Country
What is the purpose of the Birmingham & Black Country Local Nature Partnership?
The Birmingham and Black Country Local Nature Partnership (B&BC LNP) will be a driver for positive change by valuing, championing and safeguarding a healthy natural environment. Working at a strategic level the Local Nature Partnership will influence decision making to ensure, integrated, long-term sustainable and resilient benefits, adaptation to climate change, ecosystem services and environmental gains for nature, people and the economy.
The Local Nature Partnership will provide the forum to work closely with Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships and Health and Wellbeing Boards to support the delivery of the Birmingham & Black Country Nature Improvement Area (B&BC NIA) aspirations, whilst contributing locally to the Government’s national environmental objectives.
This is a free event – to attend, simply email Chris Parry at firstname.lastname@example.org – with the following details:
YOUR NAME, ORGANISATION, JOB TITLE, TELEPHONE NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS, DIETARY REQUIREMENTS, AND ANYTHING ELSE WE NEED TO KNOW
PLEASE NOTE: PLACES ARE LIMITED SO EARLY BOOKING IS ESSENTIAL. PART OF THE DAY WILL BE SPENT OUTSIDE AND SO OUTDOOR CLOTHING AND STOUT FOOTWEAR ARE APPROPRIATE.